On this page

Housing Types

For an explanation of the different Housing Types listed on the Housing Hub, please click here.

Investigating Housing Solutions (IHS)

The National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) has introduced the IHS (previously Exploring Housing Options Package – EHOP) to give NDIS participants an opportunity to explore their housing options.An IHS is an amount of money that can be used to investigate other housing options.

It is made up of

  • up to 75 hours of support coordination to develop your IHS Housing Plan, including up to 20 hours that can be used to contract allied health assessments
  • up to 50 hours of allied health assessments

More information on IHS can be found in the Resources section of this website.

Victorian Housing Register (VHR)

The Victorian Housing Register (VHR) is where you can register for social housing in Victoria. This means you can apply for both public and community housing at the same time. You can access the VHR through housing.vic.gov.au.The register has two categories:

Priority Access

This is for people:

  • who are homeless and receiving support
  • are escaping or have escaped family violence
  • with a disability or significant support needs
  • with special housing needs.

Register of Interest

This is for all eligible applicants to register their interest in social housing. Register of Interest is how people can register their interest in being considered for social housing. When you complete the Register of Interest you can choose Public Housing or Community Housing or both.

NDIS Home Modifications

Home modifications are changes to the structure, layout or fittings of the participant’s home that are required to enable the participant to safely access and move around frequently used areas in their home that they would otherwise be unable to use or access independently as a result of their disability.It is expected that a home modification would only be considered where the home to be modified is the participant’s primary residence and the participant intends to remain living at the residence. If the property is a rental property, then the written agreement of the owner of the property will be required before any modifications take place.